Networking is one of the best ways to find out about potential jobs before they’re posted and to get your foot in the door. But how do you network in the era of social distancing and quarantine? Here are a few tips:
1. Participate in online networking events – many professional organizations are hosting virtual events and courses. After you’ve done one, make sure to connect and follow up with anyone you’ve talked to via social media.
2. Get together with former coworkers – host a virtual reunion with different groups of old coworkers and use it as an opportunity to connect and see what they’ve been up to.
3. Give and get LinkedIn reviews – take this downtime to write some LinkedIn reviews for former colleagues and ask for some in return.
4. Reach out to alumni organizations – is your alma mater hosting virtual events? Is your profile updated in their online database? Can you offer to teach a course or host a panel?
5. Increase your visibility – get active on social networks – for example, make sure to engage and respond to your LinkedIn network by commenting on posts and congratulating and messaging connections for anniversaries and updates.